Capitol Christmas Tree 2010 Juried ExhibitionTrimming The Tree
Every year since 1970, a Christmas tree has been presented to the United States Congress from a national forest and is known as "The People's Tree." This year, for the first time, the tree will be a gift from Wyoming.
In honor of this occasion, the Bridger-Teton National Forest will host a statewide, juried art exhibition to select an official artwork to represent the 2010 National Capitol Christmas Tree (CCT).
Traditionally, the official CCT artwork is presented to the Chief of the Forest Service and will hang in their office for one year. The artwork will ultimately be exhibited in "The Tree Gallery" adjacent to the Chief of the Forest Service's office in the Yates Building, as part of the national permanent collection featuring previous CCT winners.
"Wyoming-Forever West" Artists are encouraged to consider the theme to conceptualize the vision of a 65+ foot tall Wyoming Christmas Tree destined for the Nation's Capitol.
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Open to all Wyoming artists, at least 18 years of age.
- Any medium may be used (including but not limited to: acrylics, oil, watercolor, textile, metals, photography, stained glass, etc.).
- Finished artwork should be between 25-35 inches high by 20-30 inches wide.
- Finished artwork may be framed or unframed, but must be designed to hang on a wall.
- One time use: The winning artist must agree to convey to the U.S. Forest Service the right to reproduce the image in a one-time printing to be sold to fund this program.
How to Apply
- Received By Deadline: September 2, 2010
- Submit high quality digital image of artwork: jpg format/4x6 inches minimum/300dpi
- Image file name: LastName_FirstName_Title.jpg
Digital image and entry form may be emailed to:
Subject heading should read: "Christmas Tree Art"
CD with image and entry form may be mailed to:
Christmas Tree Art
PO Box 1888 Jackson, WY 83001
A panel of jurors will review submissions and select artwork for the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree. Exhibited artworks will be eligible for the following:
Awards of Distinction
"Wyoming- Forever West Award" Selected by the jury panel. The official Capitol Christmas Tree artwork will be displayed throughout Wyoming, traveling with the Christmas tree on route to Washington, DC. Artwork will hang in the Office of the Chief of the Forest Service for one year and ultimately become part of the permanent collection at "The Tree Gallery" in Washington, DC. Artist will be honored at Capitol Christmas Tree festivities in Wyoming during the month of November.
"Viewers' Choice." Viewers will be invited to vote in person or online for their favorite artwork on display. Artwork will be displayed throughout Wyoming traveling alongside the Capitol Christmas tree. Artist will be honored at Capitol Christmas Tree festivities in Wyoming during the month of November.
Artwork will hang in Wyoming's State Capitol, becoming part of the State of Wyoming's permanent collection."Holiday Greeting Cards." A selection of artworks will be reproduced on note or holiday cards and sold to raise funds for the project. Information about the artist will be printed on the back of the cards.
For more information contact CapitolChristmasTree2010@gmail.com , or call Kniffy Hamilton at 307-413-1945.
Printable Flyers of the Above Information:
Christmas Tree 2010
Juried Art Exhibition